DISCLAIMER: THERE ARE AFFILIATE LINKS IN THIS POST. THIS MEANS THAT AT NO COST TO YOU, I WILL RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION IF YOU PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINK.
While driving, we should sometimes check our engine, whether it is having any troubles or not. Before the engine shuts down all of a sudden and our vehicle stops in the middle, we should keep it under observation often.
To check the engine’s performance, we don’t need to go to any mechanics or any servicing center. Nowadays, every vehicle comes with a dashboard monitoring system where one can easily have the light signals indicating codes as well as the car’s overall conditions.
But the fact then arises how to get or check that signal of codes. So, here we come with the possible effective ways of checking. To know the process keep reading.
3 Easy Ways On How To Check Codes on 2012 Dodge Ram
Engine codes can be a light signal, some character, some icons, or any short forms of some names. Whether the engine of your car is in good condition or needs some repairing, You can know clearly by the engine codes.
It does not matter you are a novice or a professional; you can clear out all your problems regarding engine codes after reading our writing.
Here you will know about 3 possible ways about how to check codes on 2012 Dodge Ram. But the methods are applicable to other vehicles also. Let’s get known.
Process 1: With the OBD Scanner
Well, it’s the most effortless process of the three. Most of the car servicing centers or the professionals use this scanners or code reader to read the engine codes.
To check with a scanner, you must need an OBD scanner. OBD code readers are a widely used reader. The program inside it has been stored with the specific codes for each problem, and so, it gives the proper solution.
Well, if your vehicle’s model is before 1996, then you need the OBD-1 reader, and if the model is after 1996, then you need the OBD-2 reader. So, be sure of your car’s model before having it.
Let’s know the steps to use.
Step 1: Connect the Plug to the Car
Connect the plug of the scanner to your car. The connection slot for the diagnostic should be beneath the dashboard of your vehicle. But in case you don’t find it, you can check the user manual of your car’s model or can search in Google.
Step 2: Wait to have the Codes
After connecting, some reader automatically turns on and start reading the engine. But in some readers, you need to turn it on manually.
And then it will take some time to show the codes. So, without being panicked, wait a few seconds.
Step 3: Check the Codes
Now, the reader will show some codes. Every code has a definite meaning. If your engine has no issues and entirely okay; still it will show that the car has no problems.
There may be codes like PX001, P0001, P0002, P0003, P0103, P401, etc. every number refers to a specific trouble. OBD-2 scanner has the function of checking the meaning of the codes. You can check from there also.
But the best option will be to check the trouble code charts from Google to know the elaborated meaning of the codes.
Process 2: With the Android App
Nowadays, with the help of high-tech information media, the engine code checking method is also not lagged. You can check your engine’s code with the mobile application.
The app has been stored with all the trouble codes. What you will need extra is a cable to connect the car with your mobile. Steps for checking trouble code with the mobile app are-
Step 1: Connect the Plug
Like the use of an OBD scanner, connect the OBD plug, one part will go in the car, and another one to connect with your mobile.
Step 2: Open the App
Now, launch the app from your mobile app stores.
Step 3: Check the Codes
And you are done with the process. Now check the codes from your app options.
Process 3: Without Any Code Reader
What if you don’t have a scanner and you need to check your codes right now. In that case, we also have a solution. And don’t think that it will not be useful as it will be doing without a scanner.
It is as effective as the other methods. But what you have to know extra is the meaning of the signal codes.
To check the codes without any scanner, follow these steps carefully and correctly.
Step 1: Insert the Key
At first, insert your ignition key. Just enter it, don’t start.
Step 2: Turn On And Then Off
Now, twist the key to turn it on and then rotate back to turn it off.
Repeat this step three times, and on the third and final twist, keep it on.
Remember, while doing this step, don’t ever put out the key. You just need to twist it on and twist back three times and then leave it like this on the third time.
Step 3: Check the Codes from Dashboard
keep an eye on your dash. You will now see some light signals of some icons or characters. If you see written done, it means your engine has no trouble codes saying it is working fine.
But if any light signal keeps blinking, it means that the warning light code is about the trouble your engine is having.
Know the Trouble from Dashboard Trouble Code Signals
Let’s know about some universal light signals meaning that can appear on the dash.
- Signal showing a key floating on water: It means your engine got overheated, and you need to keep aside your car for some time to let it cool down.
- A Battery Sign: It looks like a battery or a rectangle shape with both positive and negative signs. It means the battery has got some issues. You can turn off any parts working with the battery.
- An Exclamatory Sign: The exclamatory sign in any dashboard indicates the brake system trouble. When you see this signal, you should immediately park aside and check it or call any servicing center.
- ABS/BAS: It means trouble with the anti-lock braking system.
- Steering Wheel with An Exclamatory Sign: It indicates the trouble with your steering wheel. You can turn the steering on the left and then right to reset it. Don’t drive your car with steering problems.
- An Exclamatory Sign with Reversed Crown: This light signal refers to the tire pressure issues. Any tires may need changing or other repairing issues. So, check it out.
- A Capital D with Three horizontal lines beside the sign may have a vertical line through the three horizontal lines also. It indicates the front lamp light is having some issues. So, check them out quickly.
- Signal Colors: Be clear about the signal colors. If any signal color is red, then don’t ignore it. It can cause serious incidents.
Orange color or Yellow color signals mean you can drive with that problem, but you need to repair that issue soon.
And the final one green or blue color light means the parts are in good condition and no issues at all.
In this writing, you will find about three efficient processes on how to check codes on 2012 Dodge Ram. And the method mentioned here is also appropriate to other vehicles. Don’t doubt. These are experienced.
Besides, here you will find the problems of some universal light codes that every driver can face. So, read it and have explicit knowledge about these things.
Engine trouble codes are not an ignorable fact at all. Know well before going to drive.
Have a safe driving!
- Know-How to Drain Fuel Water Separator Cummins
- How to Remove Transmission Cooler Lines from Radiator Ford with Right Tool
- How to Change Intermediate Steering Shaft Dodge Dakota Easiest Way
- User-Friendly Guide on How to Replace Transmission Cooler Lines on Silverado
- How to Install Dual Steering Stabilizer Dodge Ram for Bumpless Driving
- Michelin AT2 Vs Cooper AT3 – Which One will You buy
- 3 Best Radiator For Toyota Tacoma With Buying Guide
- 3 Best Oil For Toyota Previa With Good Performance